As most therapists know, one of the key elements in effective therapy is cultivating a positive therapeutic alliance with their client. Understanding these interpersonal dynamics can be greatly enhanced by appreciating differences in personalities, and recognising that what may work for one client, is ineffective with another.
In this one-hour webinar on understanding personality types you will:
- Learn the basic elements of two different models of personality: the Myer Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and the Enneagram and where to go for more information;
- Understand how these models can be used to regulate your interpersonal style in response to client needs;
- Increase your empathic response to clients (and others) through gaining a greater understanding of how others see the world differently;
- Explore the role of personality in childhood development and how this relates to adult defence mechanisms and shadow;
- Learn how to include personality theories in your psycho-education of clients to increase their self awareness and their interpersonal skills;
- Differentiate between personality types and personality disorders;
- Appreciate the limitations of typecasting people, and learn to use this information gently.
Facilitated by: Be Pannell
Be works as a counsellor in private practice in Melbourne and has been teaching counselling for the last 12 years. Her prior background was in the corporate sector. She has also completed a PhD in Education on learning to think with greater levels of complexity around research, education and psychotherapy.
Time: 7.30pm-10.30pm AEST